Water Meter Care
- The owner is responsible for their meter and for their side of the meter.
- Meters are to be read on a fiscal (October 1) or as soon as September annually. The meter reading for the year is September to September. If your home/cabin is vacant or not used daily during the summer or winter, the owner is responsible to turn the meter off at the street to prevent damage to cabin from a broken water line. (Shareholders approval for change to procedure, ref: By-laws Section 2.1, 3.8)
- Please mark the location of your installation of the water meter with a steel or 4x4 post. Many meters are hidden under bushes, trees and rocks. Your meter is in an underground vault covered by a round steel cap approximately 12 inches in diameter. Place your post approximately 1 ft. behind the steel cap putting the meter between the road and the post. Please be advised, everyone should also mark your installed meter with an 8’ piece of PVC. Everyone knows where their meter is until they don’t, snow makes everything look different. If the water keeps running, this leak will cost the owner more in excess water fees.
- The marking of the meter will help during the meter reading process but most importantly if there is an emergency (summer or winter) water crews will not waste valuable time searching for your water connection.
- During winter time the water company will not read your meter because of a leak unless the owner finds the meter and provides a 4FT shoveled out radius. More importantly, please mark where you meter is so the water company can find it in the winter time when there is snow cover.
- DO NOT uncover your meter and expose it to sub zero weather in the winter time. The meter will freeze and result in costly repairs for the home owner. Call the office 801-641-0111 #1.
Leak detection process:
#1 Reason: Most leaks are caused by leaking toilets.
- Beginning November 2020 Water Meter Monitoring System – Step by Step Instructions were emailed to a few owners regarding using the EyeOnWater APP:
- HOW TO CHECK FOR A POSSIBLE LEAK
- Turn off the cabin for an hour and check the EyeOnWater APP for water usage.
- Turn on cabin after 1 hour. Turn off all the toilet valves in the cabin. 99% of the leaks found are leaking flaps or misaligned floats.
- If water usage is registering after all toilet valves are shut off, then check the mechanical room for leaking pipe connections.
- If the app is not showing water usage, then turn on each toilet valve, checking the app for water usage to isolate the toilet that would be filling constantly.
- You can turn off the stop & waste valve by turning the valve Right 1/4 turn at the meter using a long 6’-0 key that can be purchased at home depot.
- Check the App or physical meter for 1 hour for any water usage.
- If cabin water is off and water is drawn through the meter, it will show up on the App or physical meter and the leak will be between the cabin and meter. If this is the case, you will need to call a plumber to dig up the yard and find the leak.
- If water is still drawn through the meter while shut off at the street, call 801-641-0111 #1 and Brody or Trevor will check the meter.